Solar diverters and Insurance

Someone raised a question on another forum about home insurance, suggesting that the companies might refuse to pay out if you've fitted homebrew (and thus non-CE marked) equipment such as the Mk2 and the like.

I'm not sure how true that is - anyone know for sure?


Robert Wall's picture

Re: Solar diverters and Insurance

It might be an urban myth. As I understand it, you don't need to have a CE mark on home-built equipment that is for your personal use. It's only when you sell it that the rules come into action.

But I can well imagine an insurance company refusing to pay out if a shoddily-built lash-up without proper protection and inadequate wire sizes was the cause of a fire, for example.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.